While we offer all sorts of cosmetic and restorative procedures, our goal at Total Dental Solutions for Adults is to keep our patients’ natural smiles as healthy and beautiful as possible. That’s why we place such an emphasis on preventive dentistry — those practices that are so important to staving off gum disease, tooth decay, and other dental problems.
Preventive Dentistry Begins at Home
While visiting the dentist regularly is important, you only see us twice per year so most days, your dental care is in your hands. Here is how you can keep your teeth in the best possible shape between dental visits.
- Brush your teeth twice per day, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. You should brush for two minutes at a time, getting all the surfaces of the teeth and the gumline. Don’t brush too hard, as this may wear down the enamel and actually increase the likelihood of decay.
- Floss at least once per day. Be sure to floss between each tooth, using the floss to remove food particles and stuck-on plaque.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash each time you brush. This helps rinse away food particles, bacteria, and disinfect your mouth.
- Minimize your consumption of foods and drinks that stain, or at least brush after eating them if possible. This includes coffee, tea, certain berries, and dark sauces.
- Avoid chewy, sweet foods (gummy candies, chewy granola bars, raisins). These get stuck in the grooves of the teeth, where they cause harmful bacteria to proliferate.
- Set a good example for your kids. You can start a dental routine before your baby even has teeth, by gently wiping her gums with a soft, damp cloth. Start brushing as soon as the first tooth emerges, and teach your kids that dental care is not optional.
Visit Us Regularly for Cleanings and Examinations
Even if your teeth and gums look beautiful and feel fine, regular dental visits (twice per year) are essential to maintain a healthy smile. Here is why:
- Our hygienists use special tools to remove plaque and stuck-on tartar that it’s just not possible to remove at home. After thoroughly cleaning your teeth, they will polish them with a special toothpaste.
- Usually once per year, we will X-ray your mouth so that we can spot issues lurking beneath the surface such as abscesses, cysts, tumors, problems with the jaw, impacted teeth, and more. We use modern digital X-rays, which expose you to very little radiation and are completely safe.
- Dr. George Hoop will thoroughly examine your teeth, gums, and mouth. We can spot tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral issues even in their earliest stages to get a jump start on treatment. When it comes to dentistry, the earlier a problem is spotted, the easier it will be to treat.
At Total Dental Solutions for Adults, we look forward to helping you and your entire family with your oral health goals. Make sure your next appointments are on the books by calling 239-734-7737 at either of our locations in Fort Myers or Naples, FL or requesting an appointment via our online form.